||Nancy's picks for the best non-fiction
of Spring/Summer 2004. Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2004.
Last updated: Tuesday, October 07, 2008
- Adler, David A.
HEROES OF THE REVOLUTION. Illusrated by Donald A.
Smith. Holiday House, 2004 Gr 3-6
- From spying on the British to rescuing
fallen soldiers on the battlefield, here are short stories of
unforgettable heroes of the Revolutionary War.
- Anderson, Marcella Fisher and Vollstadt, Elizabeth Weiss.
YOUNG PATRIOTS. Boyds Mill
Press, 2004. Gr 3-6
- Fifteen short stories that bring to life
the expriences of young people by showing the major events of the
revolution through their eyes.
- Batten, Mary. HUNGRY
PLANTS. Illustrated by Paul Mirocha. Random House,
2000. Gr 2-3
- An easy-to-read introduction to the world
of hungry meat-eating plants. Colorful illustrations help to
explain the text.
- Bartoletti, Susan. THE FLAG
MAKER. Houghton-Mifflin, 2004. Gr 2-4
- The story of the making of the
- Blacklock, Dan. THE ROMAN
ARMY. Illustrated by Davod Lennett. Walker, 2004.
- The story of the army that controlled and
protected the Roman Empire in the second century A.D.
- Bruchac, Joseph. JIM THORPE'S
BRIGHT PATH. Illustrated by S.D. Nelson. Lee &
Low Books, 2004. Gr 2-4.
- An inspiring picture book biography of
Jim Thorpe as a champion and as a person.
- Bolden, Tonya. WAKE UP OUR
OUR SOULS. Harry Abrams, 2004. Gr 5 up
- A much needed collective biography of
black American artists with reproductions of some of their works.
- Burleigh, Robert. LANGSTONS
TRAIN RIDE. Illustrated by Leonard Jenkins. Orchard
Books, 2004. Gr 4-6
- On a train trip in 1920 Langston Hughes
was inspired to write his first famous poem, The Negro Speaks of
- Davis, Gibbs. WACKIEST WHITE
HOUSE PETS. Illustrated by David A. Johnson.
Scholastic, 2004. Gr 2-4.
- True stories of unusual pets who have
taken up residence in the White House.
- Demarest, Chris. MAYDAY!
MAYDAY! A COAST GUARD RESCUE. McElderry Books, 2004. Gr
- Dramatic illustrations show what happens
when a Coast Guard team rescues passsengers in a stricken boat.
- Graham-Barber, Lynda. SPY
HOPS AND BELLY FLOPS. Illustrated by Brian
Lies. Houghton-Mifflin, 2004. Gr K-2
- Curious behavior of woodland amimals told
in rhyming verse.
- Holzer, Harold. THE PRESIDENT
IS SHOT! The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Boyds
Mill Press, 2004. Gr 4-8
- Told in language to capture the reader,
the author sweeps away the fog of history to answer questions
about Lincoln's assassination.
- Katz, Susan. A REVOLUTIONARY
FIELD TRIP. Illutrated by R.W. Alley.Gr 3-6 Simon
& Schuster, 2004.
- Poems of Colonial America.
- Keenan, Sheila. O, SAY CAN
YOU SEE? Illustrated by Ann Boyajian. Scholastic,
2004. Gr 2-6
- The stories behind Americas symbols and
- Kerley, Barbara. WALT WHITMAN
: WORDS FOR AMERICA. Illustrated by Brian Selznick.
Scholastic, 2004. Gr 4-6
- A beautifully illustrated biography of
the poet including some of his poems.
- Kulling, Monica. BEARS: LIFE
IN THE WILD. Illustrated by Jean Cassels. Random
House, 2004. Gr L-2
- Here are simply told facts about
different kinds of bears told with both action and suspense.
- Krull, Kathleen. THE BOY ON
FAIRFIELD STREET. Illustrated by Steve Johnson and
Lou Fancher. Holiday House, 2004. Gr 3-6.
- A beautifully illustrated account of the
youth of Dr. Seuss ..a dreamy boy who did not seem to fit in and
how seeing the world through different eyes brought him fame.
- Lalicki, Tom. GRIERSON'S
2004. Gr 5-8
- A day by day account of the 16 day raid
through Mississippi led by Colonel Benjamin H. Grierson.
- Miller, William. JOE LOUIS,
MY CHAMPION. Illustrated by Rodney S. Pate. Lee &
Low Books, 2004. Gr 2-4
- Sammy wants to be a boxer like his hero,
Joe Louis, and comes to understand the true meaning of being a
- Ray, Deborah Kogan. THE
FLOWER HUNTER: William Bartram, America's First
Naturalist. Farrar Gr 23-6.
- Told as a series of journal entries, here
is the true story of the expeditions of a boy and his father to
search for and catalog new plant life. From the Catskill Mountains
to the remote wilderness they record their discoveries.
- Tanaka, Shelly. D
DAY. Illustrated by David Craig. Hyperion, 2004.
- Using real-life stories along with
original paintings, photographs and memorabilia, the author
presents a compelling account of this world-changing day.
- Wallner, Alexandra. GRANDMA
MOSES. Holiday House. Gr 2-4
- A picture book biography of Grandma Moses
who did not start painting and become famous until her senior