||Nancy's picks for the best junior novels
of Spring 2007. Compiled by Nancy Polette © 2007.
Last updated: Tuesday, October 07, 2008
- Avi. CRISPEN AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD.
Hyperion, 2006. Grades 5- 7
- The contining adventures of Crispen and his friend, Bear, as they encounter
numerous dangers in setting off to live their lives as free men.
- Dahlberg, Maurine F. THE STORY OF JONAS.
Farrar , 2007. Grades 5-8
- In 1859, thirteen-year-old Jonas, a slave, is ordered to accompany the
master's son, Percy, to the gold fields. He finds acceptance on a wagon train
and for the first time wants to be free.
- Deary, Teny.FLIGHT OF THE FIRE THIEF.
Kingfisher, 2006. Grades 5- 7
- Second book in the Fire Thief Trilogy...brings mythology alive with
- Duble, Kathleen. BRAVO ZULU SAMANTHA!
Peachtree, 2007. Grades 4-6
- A spirited girl who loves facts, a secretive grandfather and a military history
make for exciting reading.
- Gray, Dianne. TOMORROW THE RIVER.
Houghton-Mifflin, 2006. Grades 5-7
- A train ride filled with interesting characters keeps Maggie busy until
she arrives on a river in Iowa and her family's riverboat.
- Howe, James. BUNNICUILA MEETS EDGAR ALLAN CROWE.
Atheneum, 2006. Grades 4-6
- A visiting author who dresses in black and a flock of crows may spell disaster for the Monroe's pet rabbit, Bunnicula. A fun read.
- McCaughrean, Geraldine. PETER PAN IN SCARLET.
McEldeny Books, 2006. Grades 4-8
- The first sequel to the beloved classic filled with new adventures, set in the
- McKissack, Patricia. A FRIENDSHIP FOR TODAY.
Scholastic, 2007. Grades 4- 7
- The touching story of one of the first African-American children to enroll in
what had been an all white school.
- Merrill, Jean. THE TOOTHPASTE MILLIONAIRE.
Hoghton-Mifflin reissue, 2006. Grades 3-6.
- To save on toothpaste, Rufus makes a gallon at home and becomes a
millionaire before eighth grade.
- Murphy, Jim. DESPERATE JOURNEY.
Scholastic, 2006. Grades 5-8
- Maggie, her brother and ailing mother are in a desperate race to get a cargo
to Buffalo for a much needed bonus. A thrilling adventure tale.
- Nitz, Kristin. SAVING THE GRIFFIN.
Peachtree, 2007. Grades 4-7
- Two children, a lost baby griffin, danger and fear make an exciting tale set
in the present day.
- Rinaldi, Ann. COME JUNETEENTH.
Harcourt, 2007. Grades 5-8
- What happens when a slave is not told for two years that she is free?
- Tripp, Jenny. PETE AND FREMONT.
Harcourt, 2007. Grades 4-6
- Pete, the poodle, was the star of the circus until a new pup steals the show. When a grizzly bear arrives as the
new attraction, what should Pete do?
- Updale, Eleanor. MONTMORENCY'S REVENGE.
Orchard Books, 2007. Grades 5-8
- Continuation of a popular series as Montmorency and friends are determined to track down the killer
who has ruined their lives.
- White, Ruth. WAY DOWN DEEP.
Farrar, 2007. Grades 4-6
- An abandoned three year old is tken in by the town and cared for. When she is twelve, a family arrives
with news of her past. She has tough decisions to make.